Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Running at 5:00 a.m.

Oh yes I did!!! I stuck to my commitment for my first day of running! I was out the door at 5:20 this morning and ran/walked until 5:55 a.m. I even woke up at 5:12 a.m., 3 minutes before my alarm was suppose to go off (sure husband appreciated that).

Last night, I downloaded an app for my iPhone called iMapMyRUN (thanks to the recommendation of a friend). It is a great app! It tracked my route and gave me my time, average pace per mile, and miles traveled. Today I ran/walked 30 minutes for 2.09 miles, average 14.24 minutes per mile. Not bad for Day 1.

There are pros and cons to running outside in the early morning hours.

Con - still dark. I ran to the end of my street to turn left toward the park and I noticed it was pitch black, no street or safety lights; so I turned right and ran toward a main street with lots of businesses that were already open....plenty of street lights and lights from the stores. Oh and, yes, I had a small hunting knife clipped to my waistband in case I had a visitor (human or animal)! My mom suggests wasp spray for better distance from the 'visitor'. Don't really see myself running with a can of bug spray; I would probably spray myself :-)  I did feel like I needed to stop and get sick at one point, but I figured that was my body wondering what I was doing out of bed at that time of the day and why I was sweating! Reminds me of my girls' first day of kindergarten as their new alarm clocks started beeping at 6:00 a.m. "Mommy, why is my alarm beeping in the middle of the night?" "No, honey, that is what 6:00 a.m. looks like!"

Pro - so much cooler at that time of day! Husband is home (asleep) with kids; I didn't get to run last night because he was not home until 9:45 p.m. My motivation and energy levels are much higher in the morning than at the end of the day when I just want to sit on the couch and relax after homework, dinner, baths, cleaning the kitchen and putting kids to bed! It does feel really great to be in the office and know that I have already done my workout for the day; plus it gives me more energy to do my work (we will see if that holds up around 3:00 or 4:00).

So Day 1 was successful! It feels great to mark something big off my to-do list before I even head out of the house to work. Now I have my new t-shirt, new shoes and new app, PLUS I registered for my first official 5k race today. It will be on October 29th, so I have plenty of time to prepare! I am very excited and I hope this excitement sticks with me and does not fade away like new things usually do! My usual commitment drop off date is about 2 weeks, so I need to make it over that 2 week marker! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I carry a small size pepper spray that clips onto my shorts. Small and discreet. And then when I'm not running it easily clips back on to my keychain.

    ReplyDelete