Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Getting Back on Track

HOW I FELL OFF THE WAGON
Hello, Blog! Oh how I have missed you! We had a great summer, didn't we?! We spent a lot of time together. My kids didn't have any special activities; we just relaxed and tried to do a lot of swimming when the pool water wasn't boiling from the Texas summer heat (miserable). I was able to work from home 3 days a week, which allowed me to start preparing and cooking meals earlier in the day AND allowed me to run up to the gym for an aerobics class and not have to worry about getting a shower and rushing back to the office. I was able to focus more on my weight loss journey and make those 7:30 a.m. Saturday morning Weight Watchers meetings. It is true that attending meetings or being part of some kind of support group really works better and keeps you on track and motivated.

Well, this week is starting the 5th week of kindergarten for my twin girls and back to the office 5 days a week for me. I have missed my Weight Watchers meetings on Saturday mornings each of those weeks because I want to sleep in after having to get up everyday at 6:00 a.m. to get ready and make lunches for school/work.

My days are so busy with school, work, activities, homework (me and girls), soccer practice and games, some kind of social life, my spiritual life, my "me" time, and of course keeping the house clean and laundry washed. With my husband working days, leaving the house at 7:30 a.m. and getting home around 8:00 p.m., it is basically like I am a single, working mom. So to fit in the exercise time is difficult.

However, with this new schedule, I have gained back about 8 lbs of the 24 lbs I had lost this summer. I am back to that point where I say to myself, "I will not gain back the weight I have lost AND I will continue working on my healthy, fit self, no matter what it takes."

WHY DO I NEED TO GET BACK ON THE WAGON?
Yes, I want to be skinny again so I look awesome in a bathing suit in the summer time, but I also want to be healthy in order to feel better and have more energy. Most importantly, I want to live a long, full life and see my kids grow up with their families AND set a good example for their healthy habits (good food choices and daily exercise).

Kids follow the parents and they are ALWAYS watching you. If you eat french fries or chips with your meal and put broccoli or asparagus on their plate, they are going to look at you like you are crazy; then say, "can I have some of your fries." I make one healthy meal at each mealtime and we all eat it. If I try a new food and it wasn't the best, I just don't make it again or use it in a different way, in a different recipe.

It is the same concept when kids are learning to read (like mine are doing right now). We tell them "ready is fun", but we never pick up a book in front of them for our own reading time. Instead, we plop in front of the TV. Then we wonder why they would rather watch TV than read a book. I try to limit my TV time to one hour after they are in bed each evening (9-10:00 p.m.). Unfortunately, my reading time is after they are in bed too (8-9:00 p.m.). So I just try to talk to them the next morning what I was reading about or I make sure they see that my reading material is out and ready to go after they are all tucked in bed.

So this healthy lifestyle is for ME and for my children!

HOW TO GET BACK ON THE WAGON
I borrowed this quote from another blogger. This quote is going on my bathroom mirror tonight for me to read every morning. This is what is going to get me back on track.

"Weight loss is about truly being honest with yourself and committing with your whole heart, mind and body to an extraordinary journey which will benefit your life in so many more ways than just your health and body image issues."

I have to be 110% dedicated to this lifestyle and stop making excuses. I was reading a weight-loss blog earlier today and she was talking about all the same stuff that I do..."Do I have this problem?" "That is not me!" Oh yes, it seems I do.

I am the one that says "Monday is the day I will start, just let me get through this weekend." "I am going back to my Weight Watchers meetings this Saturday, but wait, I am going out of town in 2 weeks for work, I will start then." I use the throw pillows on the couch, like she does, so that people don't notice that I don't have that flat belly. "I don't have time to exercise." Next thing I know it will be, let's just enjoy the holidays and I will start on January 1st." I don't want that to happen to me! I don't want it to take a doctor telling me I have cholesterol problems, or your knees hurt because you are carrying too much weight, or anything that I can prevent now. I AM DOING THIS! Now how do I get started? :-)

EXERCISE: Well, I bought new running shoes and a motivational t-shirt to get started (pictures below). Now I just need schedule some time. I get everything else done because I schedule time for it, why not schedule exercise or meal planning? I am starting TODAY!

My options are: (1) Run from 5:15-6:00 a.m. (still dark outside, so not sure); (2) Run from 8:00-8:45 p.m. (dark at that time too); (3) Renew my gym membership and go from 5:00-5:50 a.m. When the time changes, I will be able to go outside in the mornings for sure.



My 2 Week Plan:
Plan for 9/20 - Run this evening 8:00-8:45 p.m.
Plan for 9/21, 9/22, 9/23 - Run in morning 5:15-6:00 a.m.
Plan for 9/24 - Run after 10:00 a.m. soccer game
Sunday is my day of REST (spiritual dedication)
Plan for 9/26, 9/27 - Run in morning 5:15-6:00 a.m.
Plan for 9/28, 9/29, 9/30 - (Traveling) Run treadmill in morning at hotel
Plan for 10/1 - Walk the entire DC Mall and Museums with my friend
Sunday is day of REST (and travel home)

I think mornings will be better for me (even though I am not a morning person), because when I am getting ready for work, I am thinking that I wish I could go to the gym. When I get back from my work trip, I will reevaluate if I want to renew my gym membership and do the treadmill or class at 5:00 a.m. or continue running outside for now. Also, I am signing up for the 5k run on October 29th! OK, I have a plan for exercise!

MEAL PLANNING: I will start by tracking every piece of food I put in my mouth so I know what I am eating each day and don't have to wonder where I went wrong. I will be using my WW app on my iPhone (easy and no excuses there). I go to the grocery store every Saturday so I will do weekly meal planning on Friday nights, so I know what meals I want to cook and what I need to buy at the store on Saturday.

THIS WEEK: Since I have already gone to the store for this week, I will look at what I have already bought and come up with lunches and dinners for the remainder of the week.

FOR NEXT WEEK: Then on Friday, I will plan for meals on Saturday - Monday since I am traveling Tuesday - Sunday next week. I will purchase food for my family and post a list of easy meal possibilities on the refrigerator. For my meals on Tuesday - Sunday, I will plan three meals a day, plus snacks on my flight. I am staying in a suite with a kitchen, and my office has a microwave to heat up my lunch if needed, so I don't have any excuses.

FOLLOWING WEEK: The week I return is a late Sunday night flight, so meal planning for that week will be tricky. I will do my meal planning on the flight home Sunday night, then I will have to go to the store on Monday night after work and dinner.

NOW I HAVE A PLAN - EXECUTE
Now that I have a plan, I am going to execute and stay on track. I will use my Blog (hopefully daily) to hold myself accountable. I also welcome anyone that has other advice or words of encouragement for me. I will remind myself I am human and it ok to have a bite of chocolate and cheese...it is ok to have a portion-controlled pasta meal, but I just need to remember to track what I eat, watch my portion sizes, and choose healthy foods 85% of the time.

REWARDS
Looking great and feeling great should be my best reward for myself!!!! Really? Get real! I want a reward!!! My reward will be a massage, facial, or pedicure for every 10 lbs I lose.

READY, SET, GET HEALTHY (with a plan of action)!!!

4 comments:

  1. I like your plan! You can do this!!! And, I'm signing up for that 5K too so we can do it together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I plan to sign up for the 5k this Friday (online). That way I can have a goal to work toward, instead of giving myself and out by saying "well if I get my training done, then I will sign up."

    Now I have to say "I am doing this! I had better be ready!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been working out early morning for a while now. It was hard at first, but give it a little time to get used to it. It is a fantastic way to start your day. So awesome to walk into the office knowing you have already acomplished something for yourself, and the energy it gives you is nice. I take early classes at the gym and the friends you make and support you get at 5:30 am is amazing. You know people,they help you start your day, they notice when you are not there and ask about you, they are living the same lifestyle with kids and work and finding time at a crazy hour of the morning to work out. if you can, give it a try, I think you will like it (you may just have to go to bed earlier).
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, Sara! I ran 2 miles this morning at 5:15 a.m. and it was great! I feel good about myself; I like that it is off my to-do list already; I have more energy at work!

    ReplyDelete