Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Meatloaf & Kale Chips

Dinner tonight was meatloaf...reinvented! My mom passed me her meatloaf recipe, which I have made before and it was delicious! However, my husband doesn't like anything crunchy in his foods like meatloaf. My mom's recipe includes onions and green bell peppers, so I had to search for something new. I took ideas from about three different recipes and came up with my own.

Preheat oven 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1.5 lbs grass fed 96% lean ground beef, 15 crumbled Back to Nature Stone Ground Wheat Crackers, 1 egg, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, 1 cup Horizon low fat organic sour cream, 2T worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp onion powder. Mix well together and put in a loaf pan sprayed with non-stick olive oil cooking spray. Pour 4 oz tomato sauce on top and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add 4 oz more tomato sauce on top and cook 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 c shaved parmesan cheese and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with fresh chives and serve.

This week was my first encounter with kale. I found a recipe for Kale Chips, so I modified it to my taste and tried it out with the meatloaf. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut leaves off of the thick stems and tear into bite-size pieces; spread on a cookie sheet. Whisk together 2T olive oil, 1T white wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp sea salt, and 1/4 tsp onion powder. Drizzle over the kale chips. Cook in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until edges are slightly brown and leaves are crunchy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment