Monday, July 18, 2011

Used a New Vegetable for Dinner - Jicama

Jicama is a root vegetable high in fiber. I thought I would give it a try this week since I had a great new recipe from Weight Watchers for Summer Slaw.

It is an ugly vegetable, but it tastes pretty good. You can eat it plain on a vegetable tray, chop it fine and add it with cabbage to fish tacos, or mix it in with stir fry (use anywhere you would use water chestnuts).


Summer Slaw
Toss together the following into a salad bowl.
4 C shredded green cabbage
1 1/2 C shredded jicama
1 C shredded radishes

Add 2T fresh lime juice, 2T rice vinegar, 1 tsp dark sesame oil, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp sea salt. Toss together until well coated.

I topped it off with some chopped, fresh cilantro.


I served the Summer Slaw tonight with steamed broccoli and the oven fried chicken recipe I posted last week.

It was a wonderful dinner and my whole family enjoyed it! The Summer Slaw gets an 'A' rating from us!

No comments:

Post a Comment