Saturday, July 23, 2011

Indian Tacos and Cherry Squares (tonight's dinner)

Cherry Squares

I am starting my entry off tonight with the dessert, because it was so surprisingly yummy!!! This was actually a Weight Watchers recipe in my Weekly for Blueberry Squares.

All you do is mix 1 box of Angel Food cake mix with one 22 oz can of Lite Blueberry Pie Filling. Don't use any other ingredient. Cook for 30 minutes on 350 degrees. Cool and cut into 24 squares (2 points+ each)

On the shelf, they had blueberry, strawberry, cherry, lemon, and apple pie filling. The only flavor that was lite was the cherry. I didn't want to mess up my points plus value in the dessert, so I went with cherry instead of blueberry. Because angel food cake is so plain, I believe that any of those flavors would have worked. If I can find the lite blueberry, I will try that next time. The lite cherry pie filling can was actually only 20 oz, so I added 2 oz of water and mixed with the angel food cake; poured it into a 9x13 baking dish and baked for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

It was so good, I had 2 pieces for 4 points plus! It was worth it :)

Indian Tacos

My awesome Weight Watchers leader provided us with this recipe for Indian Tacos at our meeting today. She explained it was called Indian Tacos, not "curry" food, but the original recipe called for an Indian flatbread that is used on the bottom. The recipe has been reworked for a healthier option. I posted a picture of the recipe below.

This dinner was wonderful! I like it because it is more like a casserole that you can eat on for a couple of days. Jonathan had just stuffed himself with sushi while I was cooking it, so he wasn't that hungry. He ate some and said it was good, but he didn't like the crescent rolls used on the bottom. He said it was too sweet and would prefer some other kind of breading like pita bread. I actually really liked it and wouldn't change anything that I did. I think he just wasn't in the mood to eat tonight. Our twins loved it. They ate the 1/2 serving size I put on their plates, then enjoyed a cherry square afterwards!

This was a great meal because I didn't have to make any sides since beans and vegetables are included. The only thing I did differently than the recipe below was I added 3 cloves of garlic to the onions and bell peppers while cooking the beef. Then when I added the taco seasoning, can of beans and can of tomato sauce, I also added a 4 oz can of green chilies. I followed the recipe otherwise. It was great!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment