Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Food Kids Love

Well, I am trying to get back on track from traveling for work last week and then a long 4th of July weekend filled with family fun!!! My twins finally got to see Cars 2 and they loved it!

COOKING CAMP (mommy learns from the kids)

This week my girls are going to Cooking with Christ camp for a couple hours in the afternoons. I told them to learn something yummy so they could teach me. Yesterday they learned to make, what they call, 'fruit tacos'. Toast with whipped cream cheese topped with a fruit face. I wanted to surprise them, so this morning I made toast with weight watchers whipped cream cheese. Then I used raspberries for the eyes, strawberry half for the nose and part of a banana for the smile. Then I used simply fruit grape jelly as "lip gloss" on the banana. They loved it! Can't wait to see what they learn today!

Yesterday and today, I made great lunches that kids and adults will enjoy AND these are my own recipes. Most of the time I will follow other recipes or adjust other recipes, but these are mine.

FAST, FUN WEEKDAY LUNCH IDEAS

Lunch yesterday was Cold Pasta Salad - simple, colorful, fun and yummy. Kids can help combine ingredients. Use 3C cooked whole grain bowtie pasta stirred with 1/4C freshly grated Parmesan cheese while pasta is still warm. Put if freezer while making other toppings to be cool. In a different bowl, combine some organic cherry tomatoes (halved), chopped English cucumber, sliced black olives, and some organic raspberries. Stir in 1T olive oil (for dressings, not for cooking - there is a difference) and 1/2T vinegar with 1/2 tsp sea salt. Mix dressing and veggies all together gently not to smash the raspberries. Toss in the pasta/cheese mix. Once fully coated, put in a bowl and serve. For protein, you can also add some organic canned chicken, found next to the tuna in the grocery store. This takes about 10 minutes to cook the pasta and 5 minutes to combine all the other ingredients. (Sorry I forgot to take a picture). This is a great one to be taken to the office for lunch too!

Lunch today was Chicken and Pineapple - husband and kids both loved this one. I cubed 2 organic chicken breasts. Heat 1T sesame oil in a skillet. Add the cubed chicken and 5 cloves of minced fresh garlic. Cook about 10 minutes searing on both sides, stirring frequently. While that is cooking, in a medium bowl, combine 1/2 fresh pineapple in cubed pieces 4T low sodium soy sauce, 2T fresh organic honey, 1T regular mustard. Stir until sauce is combined and covers the pineapple. Once chicken is cooked, add the pineapple and sauce mix. Turn the burner to low simmer and cover for about 4 minutes for the flavors to absorb together. I really wanted to throw in some chopped broccoli to steam down just a little, but we ate all the broccoli last night with dinner. So this was just chicken and pineapple with the oriental sauce. Serve in bowls...it was fantastic! (No picture, the brown color of the sauce with the chicken doesn't photograph pretty, but it tastes great...broccoli would have given it that great, green color contrast)

Those were both great lunches that my whole family enjoyed. Both days, we had a fun healthy dessert after lunch as well. These can be used as a dessert or a larger portion for an afternoon snack.

DESSERTS/SNACKS

Yesterday, I put all the ingredients in individual bowls and let my girls assemble and stir them together so they can "make" their own dessert. I buy organic plain Greek yogurt in a larger tub so I can use the portions I need. For dessert, I put about 1/2 cup of the Greek yogurt in 2 separate kid cereal bowls. Then I let my girls each add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp fresh honey, handful chopped peaches. They stirred it all in with the yogurt, then we topped with 1T plain granola with almond slivers.

Today, in a blender, I used 1/2 cup of that same organic plain Greek yogurt, 10 oz organic 2% Horizon milk with Omega-3's, 1T fresh honey, 7 organic strawberries, and a few pieces of ice. Blend together to make a strawberry smoothie...cheaper and you know what is in it...no sugar! The organic honey and natural strawberry sugars add the sweetness needed to make this a healthy, yummy dessert! This amount was enough to split into two cups for both my girls.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment