Saturday, July 9, 2011

Blue Cheese Sliders - buying local






This weekend was an adventure in food buying! Normally I stick to a couple of places to buy my food, but I felt adventurous this weekend.


We started on Friday as a family going to the Local Yocal in the square in McKinney, TX. We bought some grass fed fresh ground beef, German garlic, local cucumbers, and yummy chocolate chip cookies (without processing or preservatives).


Saturday morning as a family, we went to the Frisco Farmers Market and bought some freshly baked bread (to go with our garlic we are going to roast with olive oil), cherry tomatoes that Melanie picked out, Kentucky green beans that Madison picked out, some red potatoes, peaches and strawberries. Great local foods...all fresh and bright colors.


After lunch, I ventured out by myself to Sprouts and Kroger for the remaining groceries. Between the two stores, I find the best organic fruits and vegetables.


For dinner tonight, I made Blue Cheese Sliders with the local beef we bought in McKinney. They were wonderful and a perfect little size for our girls. Instead of french fries, we had thin asparagus steamed in lemon juice, fresh minced garlic, and fresh ground pepper.


To make the sliders, I minced 10 cloves of fresh garlic and put them in a mixing bowl. I took 10 organic stoneground crackers and put them in a baggie and crushed them with a rolling pin, then added them to the bowl with the garlic. I added about a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper. I crumbled 8 T of Salemville Amish Blue Cheese into the bowl. Toss and mix together, then add the pound of 90/10 fresh grass-fed ground beef. Knead together until you can make patties. I made 8 small slider-sized patties out of the mix. Cook on the grill (or inside griddle, since it is too hot in Texas to be outside) until desired doneness (well-done for me). Put on the wheat slider bun (make sure you get a brand without high fructose corn syrup). Add lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard or mayo of choice. (pattie plus bun is 6 WW points+)


ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment